Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Butterscotch and Cookie Dough

The chicken adventure started when me moved into this house in June. When i found this house the ad said it had a chicken coup but the chickens would not be staying. I was super excited to see the house not just because it had a chicken coup, but that was a big deal. We came to look at the house hours after finding the add. We fell in love right away. He ended up throwing in the chickens with the house. The girls, Bug and Monkey, were so excited to name the chickens. They named them Oreo Cream and Hazel Nut. They have been giving us eggs and the eggs are so yummy. I have never been around chickens and really don't even know how to hold one properly. My mom always told me stories of how she hated them and was scared of them. So of course Im a little scared of them, but the girls don't know that. hehe I have been shown how to hold them but have never held the two old hens. Hazel is not as nice as Oreo.  She is the one that will get in the neighbors yard. oh boy this was kind of funny watching the girls try and get her out of the yard. I thought Mrs. Paulina was going to hate us. She was not too happy at first but then when the Man and I came over and talked to her a while and got Hazel out of her yard she was much happier. I had to get the Man to come her because im a chicken. Hazel has gone in her yard one other time and he had to come get her again. opps That was the last time we let them free in the yard. My friends chickens roam free in there yard. Its good for the chickens to eat the bugs and weeds. Im betting these two have not been out of the coup much, so they are not used to being out and about. Im sure it is a combination of that and the cute little dog wanting to see what in the world they are.
We have been going to this cute little garden store to get the chickens this organic feed. They seem to love it and we get yummy eggs. We also found out that the chickens love watermelon and egg shells. I put the shells in the coup with some other veggies and fruit and figured I would just clean up the stuff that was not eaten later. The second I doped the egg shells on the ground Hazel and Oreo went crazy and were even taken them from each other. This seemed very weird to all of us that the chickens eat their own egg shells. Come to find out the shells are great to make their next eggs stronger.  Now that I have been giving them the shells for a few weeks now, we have been getting more eggs. But we seem to be going through the eggs faster than they can lay them.
This brings me to the title of todays blog. Butterscotch and Cookie Dough are our two new chickens we got last night. Bug named Butterscotch and Monkey named Cookie Dough. These Chickens were born in June, therefore they should start laying the eggs in November. These new chickens will be taken into the yard more and hopefully a little more trained.........haha
This is defiantly a new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment